Friday, March 20, 2020

While washing his hands

...my dad had a lyric come to him out of nowhere -- "look at that GRASS," he said, surprised even as it left his mouth. There was no grass to look at. Somehow, the Randy Newman song "I Love L.A." had loosed itself from the bottom of his mind -- we've been listening only to classical music so far in isolation -- and began to float unsteadily towards the surface. "What's the rest of that line?" he said, frantically.

So I put on "I Love L.A." and at 6:30 am my dad and my mom and I -- me in a separate room -- kind of jerked our bodies around and were overcome by the feeling and the half-irony and the concrete details of this song. Like the Modern Lovers' "Roadrunner," this song is a road trip and a heartfelt tribute and transcendent, in a tongue-in-cheek way. I've noticed that in isolation, old things we used to love and haven't thought of in a while do begin to loosen and float to the surface. My mom, for instance, remembered a joke while scouring the internet for toilet paper. Our exchange went like this:

Her: "I'm looking for some of that John Wayne toilet paper."
Me: "John Wayne toilet paper?"
Her: "It's tough, it's rough, and it don't take no crap off anybody."

Anyway, here's "I Love L.A." Randy Newman is a good soundtrack for this moment.


6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I love this! Makes me want to be in LA... the synths are out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh also, reminds me of the Greil Marcus book where he claims Randy Newman is here to save rock 'n roll....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about that book because of this song! Is it Mystery Train? I just started reading it. So good (the book and the song)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's Mystery Train! One of my dearest friends gave me that book in college when we were in a real college-type romance with an incredibly embarrassing and mansplainy note attached. I can never think of Randy Newman or the Band without thinking about that book.
      My friend is now a novelist who wrote the novel Early Work (It is such a great novel! And I'm not even saying that because I'm mentioned in it!) He has apologized for the note and we're still close.

      Delete
  4. Ah songs about driving to wherever whenever you want to, especially with a call-and-response chorus...also you always know Randy's winking at you, it's never too saccharine...I think we might need to revisit the music of the early 80's that we hated for specific aesthetic reasons like gated snares and cheesy synths. I was in a record shop in Des Moines a few months ago and the owner was playing Bob Dylan's "Knocked Out Loaded" and but I LOVED IT and asked him if I could buy it from him. "Trouble in Paradise" has that same vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. speaking of early 80s music with cheesy synths and sax, i recently watched the 1980 british gangster film "The long good friday" (with helen mirren!) and became OBSESSED w the soundtrack. it goes so fucking hard. just wait for the sax:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAXxYKave6o

      Delete

Test -- can you comment if this is here?

Orienting Between Hyperobjects

An initial warning: I know this blog is for people to talk about the quarantine and various experiences they've been having, and I fully...