Sunday, March 15, 2020

strangergoodgoodstranger

Flew from Portland to Albuquerque yesterday, under the wire, and am now self-isolating for two weeks. The plane was 1/3 full and I shared wipes with my closest neighbors. Portland was in the process of shutting down. New Mexico feels a few days behind. I'm worried about being around my 65+ yr old parents, even though I'm self-isolating and we've been very careful.

I didn't sleep well. I read this today, which I liked, and took from it this blog's title: https://mirabilary.substack.com/p/this-virus

Now that I'm here, and can't touch the dog, and my parents are delivering me food at the door, I am thinking about the loneliness and isolation of the next few weeks and beyond, which pales in comparison to the experiences of those who fall ill with the virus, but is of course related. I want now to make a space where in isolation we (friends and strangers) can share even the fluffiest of musings from isolation, in the aim of remembering that we're in this together. I remembered reading Daniel Dafoe's "The Storm," (hi MFA classmates) wherein he collected dispatches from those affected across England by a raging, unforeseen storm. The volume of dispatches was one thing; the almost unreadable repetition of them was another. I'm not saying this project would be boring, at all, but rather that through repetition, and reading of similar experiences, we might be able to find respite from isolation, which I think will be ongoing for some time.

This is a low-fi project for a reason. It's meant as a coping mechanism and a source for solidarity, not a polished writing project. It will help me and I hope it will help you to read small musings (let's say under ~700 words) from this strange, attenuated, terrifying, important, upsetting moment. I have taken inspiration from this blog -- https://indoor-voices.blogspot.com/ -- which is also really worth checking out. If you'd like to contribute to Good for the Stranger Stranger for the Good (what a title), please email me at schillerlucy88@gmail.com and we'll get you started. I'd love to run things about what you're reading and watching, what you encounter on your walks or runs, albums you're listening to, conversations you're having -- anything that is comprising your days in this particular extended moment in time as you stay home.

Love to all of you and please stay home if you can, keep washing your hands, and reach out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Test -- can you comment if this is here?

Orienting Between Hyperobjects

An initial warning: I know this blog is for people to talk about the quarantine and various experiences they've been having, and I fully...