Monday, March 23, 2020

little delights, and one missing delight

 It snowed today, but the garlic is coming up! This is a sure sign of spring. So early, yet so satisfying.

 I loved this selection from "Braiding Sweetgrass" about the Honorable Harvest

Azaleas: another sure sign of spring.


My desk is messy with books, but I took these photos to show my colleagues my workspace. I built the standing desk myself. The horse painting in the corner was inherited from my grandmother and is by Chucho Reyes. It is one of the most beautiful objects I own. In the corner of the second photo is a cell of Lucy from the Peanuts gang that belonged to my mother. The other small prints are from Lisbon, Havana, and Detroit. The Greek bust belonged to my grandmother. Above my desk you can see books by Lewis Hyde.

 I made fish tacos with red cabbage slaw.

I distributed literature on the coronavirus for the city. Distributing literature in a mask and gloves was dystopian and a bit overwhelming, but I'm glad I did it.

I started to learn to cross stitch. The pattern I'm using is embarrassingly earnest, (It says, "You are ENOUGH.") but I think it's big enough and easy enough to learn on.

I also took a long walk in Forest Hills Cemetery with Lauren, but I didn't take any photos. A number of famous people are buried there, including ee cummings, Anne Sexton (monster!), Eugene O'Neill, Lucy Stone, William Lloyd Garrison, and Amy Beach. Amy Beach wrote some lovely pieces. Here's one.

1 comment:

  1. That's amazing about distributing coronavirus literature! And I'm impressed and inspired by how you're occupying yourself during this time. Pls send us more photos of the earnest cross stitching as it develops!

    ReplyDelete

Test -- can you comment if this is here?

Orienting Between Hyperobjects

An initial warning: I know this blog is for people to talk about the quarantine and various experiences they've been having, and I fully...