Thursday, April 2, 2020

A comment on Genghis Blues

For some reason, I'm not able to comment without adding a URL, not sure why.

Yes, I love the film Genghis Blues, I own the DVD and have watched it many times.  It stirs my soul. I love the part when Paul is drinking water fresh from that beautiful Mongolian river, but the traveler in me is screaming, "No, Paul! This is livestock country!" The group of people that surround him -  the film makers, Feynman groupies, and musicians form this circle around Paul that is really incredible to watch form. Since that movie, I have seen the band Huun Huur Tu, Tuvan throat singers, here in Portland and in NYC a number of times and I've wondered, "Who was the first throat singer to say, 'Oh! I can sing two notes at the same time?'" Probably a tribe member, surviving in isolation, during a particularly boring month, in a yurt on the Mongolian Steppes.







1 comment:

  1. Ack! The commenting (non)capabilities on this blog are completely incomprehensible to me. If you have any tips, let me know. I KNEW someone would love this movie/Paul Pena! That's amazing you have seen the throat singers perform in Portland. Maybe we can all try to start throat singing during isolation.

    ReplyDelete

Test -- can you comment if this is here?

Orienting Between Hyperobjects

An initial warning: I know this blog is for people to talk about the quarantine and various experiences they've been having, and I fully...