Tuesday, March 31, 2020

"It was a morale booster, a jolly place, but it was not curative"

This profile of Naomi Replansky and Eva Kollisch was a wonderful read.


I loved this story because I learned more about these incredible women and the circumstances around their lives. At the same time, I've noticed an odd rash of stories about "getting through difficult times" featuring... Holocaust survivors and people who survived escaping the Syrian army or lost their brother in 9/11. I'm sure there are more!

This is a terrible time, many people are struggling, but... what? The advice is lovely, but I feel like this media turn is vastly inappropriate. Maybe it's just me.

I read the novel Writers & Lovers by Lily King and was up half the night because I didn't want to leave the characters. I thought it was as enjoyable as Conversations with Friends, but it may have been because it was so relatable. It takes place in Boston/Cambridge in 1997, and is so site specific. There are paragraphs documenting the specific route she takes to work, paintings at the MFA that are still on display. Reading about her biking around and going to places (particularly the closed stores, RIP Border Cafe) was a perfect escape. All I wanted was a juicy novel about women, love, grief, and the patriarchy, and it delivered. I'm very tired today.

Speaking of museums, the findable map of the Met is delightful!

The entire map is available online and in the museum, and has earned a reputation as the Met's most popular publication for kids. Click to zoom in.
Met Museum Map

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that they met at a Grace Paley reading. Speaking of writing that's about people making it through hard times: Grace Paley! I had a big Lucia Berlin obsession last year, she would also fit in here. I agree with your point about tragedy profiles overall, drawing historical parallels between a lot of these events is a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete

Test -- can you comment if this is here?

Orienting Between Hyperobjects

An initial warning: I know this blog is for people to talk about the quarantine and various experiences they've been having, and I fully...